Saturday, January 1, 2011

Snowblower surprise

December 29, 2010
This football field sized driveway is ours (I'm not exaggerating). It's long. Really, really long. Oh sure, in the summer it's heaven for sidewalk chalk but in the winter? It sucks.

With a big winter storm that blew in tonight and a husband in Logan watching his beloved Aggies beat Hawaii (I think we get a major storm every time they come to the mainland), I thought to myself, oh a lovely night all to myself... well, once Cole is in bed. I had nearly plopped by my fat butt down on the couch to do nothing but watch TV when a tiny voice in my head said, "Oh, Jeff will be so mad if he has to drive on all that snow when he comes home - it will turn to ice where the tires go. I'll just go shovel two paths for the tires so he can drive into the garage."

So I found some gloves, a beanie, and my sneakers and headed outside, shovel in hand.

Then that tiny voice said to me, "Oh, it would be really nice if Jeff could get to his car in the morning without having to trudge through snow." So I kept shoveling.

Once I had a path to the car made, that stupid, I mean tiny voice said to me, "Oh, Jeff's back has been killing him all week. He'd really hate to come home and debate about whether he should snow blow tonight or get up early and do it."

So I kept shoveling... heavy, wet snow. Then the voice said, "You really should shovel the sidewalk. The poor mailman shouldn't have to trudge through snow and what if someone is crazy enough to be out walking in this sub-zero weather? They would certainly appreciate walking on the sidewalk and not through snow."

At this point there was simply no turning back. So I shoveled, and shoveled, and shoveled. All while cursing about where my 15-year-old neighbor kid was when I needed him. An hour later it was done, to which I celebrated my workout with a Snickers.

I sure wish I knew how to start our mammoth-sized snow blower.

2 comments:

  1. It's easy
    Pull the cord
    or plug it in and hit the start button :)

    Thanks for doing that!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, but think of all those calories you burned and all that strength training you completed! :)

    ReplyDelete